We’ve helped stop this bill before, and we can do it again. After a massive global outcry last year, Ugandan President Museveni blocked the bill’s progress. But political unrest is mounting in Uganda, and religious extremists in Parliament are hoping confusion and violence in the streets will distract the international community from a second push to pass this hate-filled law. We can show them that the world is still watching. If we block the vote for two more days until Parliament closes, the bill will expire forever.
We have no time to lose. Let’s get to one million voices against Uganda’s gay death penalty in the next 12 hours – sign now then spread the word about this campaign!
Tips and Guidelines for the call:
- Use the “call-in widget” above to find the number of your leader.
- Call the number and be calm and respectful
- State that:
- You urge your leader to make immediate statements and take all necessary steps to oppose the passing of the Ugandan Anti-Homosexuality bill.
- Explain that this bill is a violation of international conventions on human rights, and the Ugandan constitution, which guarantee freedom of expression, thought, and a right to life. Highlight that it is wrong that people should be persecuted and killed based on creed, nationality or sexual orientation.
- Emphasise that the courageous and inspiring members of the Ugandan homosexual community deserve our full support now.
- Finish by once again urging your leader for immediate action — citizens of the world are standing up against hateful legislation in Uganda, but all governments that espouse a foreign policy of democracy and human rights need to stand firmly now on the side of homosexual Ugandans.
You don’t need to follow these talking points exactly and your personal message will make it more powerful.
If you don’t get through, it probably means we’re jamming their lines — a good sign! KEEP CALLING!
SIGN THE PETITION
To President Museveni of Uganda, Members of the Review Committee, Parliament, and donor governments:
We stand with citizens across Uganda who are calling on their government to withdraw the Anti-Homosexual Bill, and to protect the universal human rights embodied in the Ugandan constitution. We urge Uganda’s leaders and donors to join us in rejecting persecution and upholding values of justice and tolerance.